Monday 27 September 2010

A taste of hockey


In Ireland, hockey is played on a pitch with curvy sticks, that look like giant candy canes made out of wood. In order to refer to our national sport, I have to be more specific. I have to call it ice hockey. There is very little tradition of ice hockey here.
The Irish national team competes at the world championships down in division III with other countries such as Greece, United Arab Emirates, Mongolia and South Africa. There is a professionnal hockey team in Northern Ireland based in Belfast: the Giants, named after Finn McCool. Do you remember him, who built the Giant's Causeway? The Giants play in a league with teams from the UK: Newcastle Vipers, Hull Stingrays, Nottingham Panthers, Braehead Clan, Edinburg Capitals, Cardiff Devils...

Long before we left for our sabbatical,
the NHL had officially announced that the Boston Bruins would travel to Belfast to play a selection from the Elite Ice Hockey League. We are only three days away from that game. I am getting really excited as I will be sitting right behind the Boston Bruins players bench. Thanks to the Belfast Giants' General Manager himself!
Did I tell you it is a VIP Experience pass? I will also get to see the morning training sessions for each team. Attend a banquet before the puck drops and have access to a private room during the game.

It is specified in the letter that you can't turn dressed in anything that reminded the crowd that any other sport happens in Belfast or anywhere and you'll not be allowed in. Anything that is not an ice hockey shirt is not approved of at Giants games, and that includes Ulster rugby. I don't know what I'll be wearing for the event yet. I could sport my Canadien de Montréal jersey, but as a good buddy of mine would say: "But, why? They are not even playing!". A Belfast Giants sweater like Theo Fleury did in 2006, maybe? I doubt it, it would be hard to justify. I would look like a bilboard and I don't know any of their players. Maybe I should've studied the lineup.
I will probably be wearing a Boston Bruins colors, even though they are the arch enemies of my childhood team, thanks to Cam Neely. Since I will be in the crowd with the rambunctious Big Bad Bruins fans, it is probably safer for me to blend in. I'll pretend I'm mad about bears and beans.

A VIP experience report will follow the event. Until then keep on training.

No comments:

Post a Comment