Tuesday 5 October 2010

Game on

No team sports' tops except ice hockey colours.
That rule was put forward ten years ago when the Giants started skating in Belfast. In order to keep the game secular and avoid conflicts between rivals. Rachel told me she went to a restaurant that specified 'no tatoos' on their sign. Out of towners would not know that this is a form of segregation -- but it turns out that protestant men tend to have lots of tatoos.


From the VIP room I could see the fans lining up to get into the arena. Many of them wearing hockey sweaters, the majority from the Belfast Giants and also from other Elite league teams.
I spot many Bruins logos in the crowd. Many other NHL teams also. I am glad not to be wearing my Habs jersey because the VIP room is filled with Boston fans.

Let the game begin! To my surprise, I am not sitting behind the Bruins bench, but the Giants! For a moment I am really upset. I feel betrayed by the Giants' GM that sold me that ticket. Once the game is on, I get all excited just like the rest of the crowd. Here is a shot of the opening face off. Lucic is yapping at the opposition.



Stephen Murphy, the Giants goalie, born in the UK, is standing on his head. The crowd can't believe that the score is tied at zero after one period of play. The Giants mascot steps onto the ice during the intermission.



The Giants score first. The crowd goes wild. Jade Galbraith, from Alberta, is the new hero. But the glory is short lived. The Bruins quickly move ahead 3-1 after two. Tyler Seguin scores, so does Chara.


The Bruins continue their domination. Young Seguin scores again, on a penalty shot this time. The game ends 5-1. The Selects, although much less talented, proved to be tough opponents. Both teams shake hands and salute the crowd with their sticks. Then they line up on their blue line, Tyler Seguin is 'Man of the game' for the Bruins, the Giants goalkeeper accepts the same award for his team. Captain Chara addresses the fans, thanks them for their hospitality. Everyone goes home happy as the expected rout was avoided.


The Bruins are leaving for Prague. I'm off to the B&B, I need to grab a taxi.


No comments:

Post a Comment