Tuesday 5 October 2010

Intermission

The Odyssey is not only a hockey rink. Under the same roof, you can find a movie theatre, W5 museum, a bowling alley, restaurants and nightclubs. It is a busy place day and night.


W5 is hosting a special event this week end: a Star Wars convention. Stormtroopers are patrolling the area. I feel amused and somewhat fearful when I imagine this could be real. Remember, we are in Belfast where a wall divides Catholic and Protestant neighborhoods. Ten years ago, military would guard the streets machine guns in hand.


I stop at Rockies, Northern Ireland's unique canadian sports bar. But there is no canadian beer to be found. On tap, they serve the usual Guinness and Harp. I am surprised to notice that locals mostly drink bottled Coors Light. Shocking!


The place is decorated with sports memorabilia. I find some amusing artifacts. Mostly canadian junior jerseys, several from NHL teams, even international sweaters from countries you never thought played hockey.


VIP doors will open soon for a private dinner before the puck is dropped. I better go back to the VIP/Media entrance.



No comments:

Post a Comment